Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Proposal:
Most of the motion graphics I have seen that are being done today have really nice elements. The text's aesthetic appearance helps to reinforce the message, as does the background. However, One area that is seemingly continuously overlooked for its potential to add content to a piece is with the physical act of motion.For my project I want to explore the flexibility of letterforms and the ability of motion to enhance typographic messages. Scale changes, camera movements, rotation—All of these things can enhance meaning. It could be called:
Meaning with Motion


Robert Brownjohn (aka the man)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSc1n8ByDiE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pka0FczsOfo&feature=related

Overview:

In the middle of the 1950s and 1960s advertising started to change drastically. The word and message became perpetually meddled together and concept became king. In other words, type became the image.

Its been about fifty years since then. Much of the work carried out by CGB and associates carries on. It can been seen in the works Stefan Sagmeister, Tibor Kalman, KarlssonWilker, and James Victore. However, all of these designers work in print so their work has no motion.

By Looking at these sources we have recognized types ability to inject meaning. I plan on using type (maybe one size and one typeface) as a starting point to create meaning.
Most of my work deals with how the brain interprets symbols and imagery to attach its own narrative to seemingly random images. I think I might start with that idea and create a brief series of individual words and see how their meaning can be amplified or subverted through the application of motion to their forms. Another idea that I have been interested in lately is the utilization of seeming Randomness as a vehicle for discourse. It might be good to use this trope to keep this from just being a typographic exercise. With that in mind, I have been interested as how the movie, especially with viral videos, can become a poster of sorts. Is it possible for a short, text based animation to have the same visual impact and viral quality that a video of a guy falling down stairs can have?








3 comments:

Pierre Thornton said...

I think that this is a really project to work with. I wanted to to do something similar with my project. I really want to see how you will give your character life, personality and language. Think about that.

Eikyo Tenchi said...

In honesty I'm a little confused on the actual project itself. Just to make sure I understand where you are going with this, You are going to make a textual message that in the end will have the same visual impact as other viral videos. I like the idea of the animation to become a poster of sorts. More so I want to see the interpretational aspects of moving the text.

wyatt said...

you're crazy man.
I'm interested on how you're going illustrate the text visually. rock on.

i wanna good pun.